Montgomery Transport was established, starting with one tractor unit. It was also the first Ballyvesey Holdings company.1970
The first depot was opened in Leyland, the office was a two berth caravan in the corner of another hauliers yard. There were two lorries based here and the first North West traffic area ‘O’ license was obtained in 1973.1972
The fleet grew to 30 tractor units and in 1976 Harold lobbied for a depot in the Central New Towns Development Agency for a site in the new Walton Summit Industrial Estate in Preston.
In 1988 the Dublin depot was opened in Dublin Port providing an operational base in the ROI for UK traffic in and out of the country, at the same time a new depot was opened in South East Paris to function as a focus for European traffic.
By the end of the 90s the turnover of Montgomery Transport Group was around £60million with 400+ employees.
Montgomery Transport added a pallet distribution division following the acquisition of Dukes Transport. This has since grown in to a £15m per year business with operations across the UK and Ireland.
In 2014 a freight management department was set up to deal with the large number of ad hoc requests from existing customers.
Ballyvesey Holdings acquired the Birds Transport Group, based in the West Midlands. It is now fully integrated into the Montgomery Transport Group.
Between 2015 and 2018 Montgomery Distribution has invested in new properties in Rugby, Leeds and extended the warehouse facilities in Preston and Northern Ireland as customer base grows.2015-2018
The Montgomery Transport Group is celebrating 50 years. It has grown to become one of the largest privately owned transport companies in the UK. It operates from multiple sites, with a fleet of over 250 trucks and 1500+ trailers. The Group remains family owned and operated.2020
If you would like to find out any information, give us a call on 02890 849321